Spring holiday in Feldthurns - Nature awakens and the farmer’s work begins
The days become ever longer and warmer, and the meadows are lush and green. Work in the fields begins. Nature comes alive, and spring fever is rife…
The plants need plenty of nutrients, so Farmer Herbert spreads composted manure and swill on the fields. Fruit trees and hedges are trimmed, and the wood from them is bundled in so-called “kenteln” used to light the furnace in the parlour in winter.
The pear, apple, apricot, plum and cherry trees are in full bloom, and the elder bushes, chestnut and walnut trees lining the paths give off their beautiful scent. The days are already warm and summery, and the nights become balmy. Tourists in Feldthurns can experience a wonderful spring awakening.
There is plenty of work to be done in the cottage garden. Chives, parsley, marjoram, rosemary, thyme and many other aromatic culinary herbs grow, and the lettuce and radishes can already be harvested. Tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, cauliflower, broccoli and new lettuce are now planted.
Our tips for your spring holiday in Feldthurns:
- Time for a spring walk: the first heralds of spring can be seen on leisurely walks in the great outdoors.
- Tours of towns and cities with character: Klausen, Bressanone, Bolzano, Merano, Brunico… South Tyrol’s destinations are perfect for all kinds of tours or a leisurely stroll.
- Seize castles and palaces: in addition to the nearby Castle Velthurns, there are plenty of other castle complexes worth visiting that capture the imaginations of damsels and knights of all ages.
- Churches & co.: the cloisters, libraries, courtyards, gardens and churches of centuries-old monasteries and nunneries such as Säben and Neustift Abbeys are hugely significant in terms of their culture and history.
- Colourful gardens: thousands of tulips and spring flowers bloom at Trauttmansdorff Castle in Merano – a very special kind of spectacle!
- Accompanied by four-legged friends: visitors can head off from the farm and go on long walks in any season